Can't ping names in the WINS server

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Tue Nov 21 23:34:46 GMT 2000

At 08:17 PM 21/11/2000 +0100, Pablo wrote:

Not sure what you are asking (and your html formatted post does not return
well). But :

DHCP and ping refer to the tcp/ip .
WINS and Samba refer to the smb protocol.

Are you getting these confused ? You cannot ping a name that appears in the
wins list unless you have used the same names. We do, for example,
bcdb1.biochem.latrobe.au has a machine name of bcdb1 but it does not _have
to_ be that way. If you are allocating machine ip address via dhcp then it
pretty hard to ensure that they have the same machine name....

David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au