Can't ping names in the WINS server

Pablo chucky at sortes.com
Tue Nov 21 19:17:09 GMT 2000

Hello all.

I have a NT PDC running WINS server and DHCP server. I have installed Samba 2.0 in a Linux box. I have configured this computer like a DHCP client and it is working nice. When I use Samba I can view this machine in the network, becouse this machine registers itself in the WINS server. This is all good, but the problem is that a can't acces like a client to the WINS server. When I try to ping to a computer that is registered in the WINS server the Linux box don't seem to connect to this server.

I have configured the nmbd daemon with the WINS options like this:

dns proxy = No
Wins proxy = Yes
wins server = 'WINS server of my network'
wins support = No
wins hook =

I have set also this option:

name resolve order = wins host lmhosts bcast

Tahnks in advance.