Plea for advice: 2.0.7 or 2.2cvs?

Jacek Stolarczyk jacek at mer.chemia.polsl.gliwice.pl
Mon Nov 20 22:34:40 GMT 2000

Hi,

I will be in the next two days installing a server in a new lab (server will
be running RH7.0 Linux, custom install or patched RH 6.2) which will be
supposed to run as a PDC for about 20 stations running NT4.0 SP6 (actually
these will be dual boot stations running Linux and NT). Neither Win2000 nor
Win98 will be running in the environment in the near future though some may
appear in by the end of the year.
Now, coming to my question: what samba version should I use?
a) 2.0.7
b) SAMBA_2_2 cvs branch
c) wait (probably just a few days) for 2.2alpha1
This is a scientific and students' lab so the stability is needed but no
critical equipment is there. Server data are to be backed up regularly. I
have read instructions on David Bannon's great site but I'm still not sure
which one too choose. I have been successfully running samba 2.0.5a as a PDC
in a smaller lab in mixed Win98 & WinNT4.0 & Linux environment so I know that
basic functionality is there (in 2.0.x versions). Do the additional features
in 2.2 version balance the (presumably) worse stability of an alpha version?

Regards,

Jacek Stolarczyk
jstolarz at kde.org
Coordinator of Polish translations of KDE
netadmin of Faculty of Chemistry, Silesian Univ. of Techn.