Win98 and Dialin Linux

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Nov 17 23:42:31 GMT 2000

At 04:41 PM 11/17/00 -0600, Steve Gonzales wrote:
>Hello, all.
>
>I am attempting to use a RedHat 7.0 server as a dialin server for my NT
>network.  I have the most current version of Mgetty, PPPD, and Samba
>installed from RPM's.  I can connect and authenticate all the way into the
>network and view the servers and workstations inside the Network
>Neighborhood from the client.  The trouble is that I am not able to open a
>server to see its shares.  The client locks up.
>
>I am able to view shares on the Linux server from my NT PDC.  I am also able
>to send smbclient messages from the Linux server to the NT PDC.  I am also
>able to ping all of my servers and some Internet addresses from the client
>once I am "attached" to the NT network.  I believe that PPP is working fine,
>but I could be wrong.  That leaves Samba.  Attached in my smb.conf.
>
>I address this message to both the Samba_NTDom and the Linux_Server lists so
>some of this message may apply to only one group or the other.  My apologies
>if I am doing wrong.

OK, it seems like you have done the right things, and WINS is defined ...

Just to be sure, run up winipcfg/all and check that the WINS server is
defined, but if you have authenticated, the WINS is probably defined.

To sort this out now, we may need a packet trace ... grab one on the Linux
box from ppp0 or wherever ... with

   tcpdump -i ppp0 -s 1500 -w ppp.cap

Then uuencode it and send it to me. BTW, grab the trace when you are trying
to browse a server from the Win98 box or access a server, etc.

>DIALIN SERVER
>I have taken the following steps for PPPD:
>

>/etc/ppp/Options is the following:
>asyncmap 0
>netmask 255.255.248.0
>ms-wins 130.39.3.2
>ms-dns 130.39.3.5
>proxyarp
>noauth
>lock
>crtscts
>modem
>
>Since I am using ttyS1 for the modem I have also edited the
>/etc/ppp/options.ttyS1 file to provide dynamic IP number allocation for my
>dial up users.
>
>I have run the command chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd.
>In /etc/bashrc I have added the alias: alias ppp="exec
>/usr/sbin/pppd -detach"
>

>WINDOWS 95 CLIENT
>I have set up a PPP DUN and have taken all the defaults, except that it uses
>pure TCP/IP and not NetBEUI.  I also have the DUN client stopping and
>showing a terminal screen once connection is established so that I can log
>into the Samba server using a Linux userid as additional security to the NT
>authentication.
>
>TIA!
>Steven C. Gonzales (soon to be RHCE if I can survive this learning curve
>(-: )
>Louisiana State University		gonzo at eng.lsu.edu
>Division of Engineering Services	225.578.6069 (v)
>3216G CEBA					225.578.5990 (f)
>Baton Rouge, LA  70803
>

>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\smb1.con"

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Author, Special Edition, Using Samba