Win98 and Dialin Linux

Steve Gonzales gonzo at eng.lsu.edu
Fri Nov 17 22:41:26 GMT 2000

Hello, all.

I am attempting to use a RedHat 7.0 server as a dialin server for my NT
network.  I have the most current version of Mgetty, PPPD, and Samba
installed from RPM's.  I can connect and authenticate all the way into the
network and view the servers and workstations inside the Network
Neighborhood from the client.  The trouble is that I am not able to open a
server to see its shares.  The client locks up.

I am able to view shares on the Linux server from my NT PDC.  I am also able
to send smbclient messages from the Linux server to the NT PDC.  I am also
able to ping all of my servers and some Internet addresses from the client
once I am "attached" to the NT network.  I believe that PPP is working fine,
but I could be wrong.  That leaves Samba.  Attached in my smb.conf.

I address this message to both the Samba_NTDom and the Linux_Server lists so
some of this message may apply to only one group or the other.  My apologies
if I am doing wrong.

DIALIN SERVER
I have taken the following steps for PPPD:

/etc/ppp/Options is the following:
asyncmap 0
netmask 255.255.248.0
ms-wins 130.39.3.2
ms-dns 130.39.3.5
proxyarp
noauth
lock
crtscts
modem

Since I am using ttyS1 for the modem I have also edited the
/etc/ppp/options.ttyS1 file to provide dynamic IP number allocation for my
dial up users.

I have run the command chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd.
In /etc/bashrc I have added the alias: alias ppp="exec
/usr/sbin/pppd -detach"

WINDOWS 95 CLIENT
I have set up a PPP DUN and have taken all the defaults, except that it uses
pure TCP/IP and not NetBEUI.  I also have the DUN client stopping and
showing a terminal screen once connection is established so that I can log
into the Samba server using a Linux userid as additional security to the NT
authentication.

TIA!
Steven C. Gonzales (soon to be RHCE if I can survive this learning curve
(-: )
Louisiana State University		gonzo at eng.lsu.edu
Division of Engineering Services	225.578.6069 (v)
3216G CEBA					225.578.5990 (f)
Baton Rouge, LA  70803