Win2k login problem

yaya dyaya_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 06:59:59 GMT 2000

> Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 17:59:02 +0100
> From: ben <benoit.geslot at bde.espci.fr>
> To: samba-ntdom at us5.samba.org
> Subject: Win2k login problem
>
> The Win2k can see the server in the network neighbourhood and access any
> public share.
> A connection to server with 'smbclient' works fine.
> The 'createuser' command works as well and I created a trust account for
> my Win2k client and a few user accounts.

I don't know what your OS is. I am using Linux RH6.1.
You don't need to createuser as trust account in smbpasswd file, but you
must add machine trust account in /etc/passwd.

> But when I authenticate from the client to enter the domain, I get the
> following error:
>     "The account used is a computer account. Use your global account or
> local user account to access this server".
> Is it a known problem ?

Yup, that mean you must use user in smbpasswd file [Domain-Samba Users].

> What kind of account must I create on the server to authenticate the
> client ?

Domain-Samba Users.
If you want to login from Win2K to Samba Domain, you must setting Domain of
Win2K to Samba Domain.
In this case you must joining Samba Domain. Then you can loging from Win2K
to Samba domain using Domain Users.

Tng users, please see: http://www.samba-tng.or/

yaya