File Timestamp Set to Current Date

Jim Wilson Jim.Wilson at merant.com
Wed Nov 8 22:17:27 GMT 2000

When copying files from 95/98 to a Samba mount, files keep their date and
time.  When copying files from NTFS formatted drive on NT, files also keep
their date and time.  However, copying from FAT formatted drive sets date
and time to current date and time.

Having said this, we also have run into customers that can't even copy from
an NTFS formatted drive on NT to a samba mount without the datetime getting
set to the current datetime.

Does anyone know what controls the file timestamp setting?  Does it have to
do with the client network software?  A samba option? A bug in our release
of Samba?

Thanks,
Jim Wilson
MERANT