Which branch has working (or can be made to work with) LDAP support?

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.k12.pa.us
Tue Nov 7 21:26:17 GMT 2000

Hi,

I've been trying to get any of the Samba branches to compile with LDAP
support but they all seem to be broken somewhere.  I know LDAP support is
and has been in a state of flux for the past two and a half years I have
been using Samba but hopefully the LDAP support is stabilizing, rather
than destabilizing.  I say that because a year and a half ago, I could run
an NT domain with Samba HEAD-2.1.0-pre-alpha with working LDAP support -
now I can't seem to do that unless I go back to that year old code.

I've tried both with RedHat 6.2 w/ OpenLDAP 2.0.6 and OpenLDAP 1.2.11 as
well as with Solaris 8 with Netscape LDAP libraries.  The errors don't
seem to be related to the included LDAP libraries.

With the samba-tng code, I get:

Linking bin/smbd
bin/.libs/libsurs.so: undefined reference to `ldapdb_lookup_by_sid'
bin/.libs/libsurs.so: undefined reference to `ldapdb_get_uint32'
bin/.libs/libsurs.so: undefined reference to `ldapdb_search'
bin/.libs/libsurs.so: undefined reference to `ldapdb_get_sid'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1

With the SAMBA_2_2 code (after modifying the configure script to enable
LDAP):

Linking bin/smbd
passdb/passdb.o: In function `initialize_password_db':
passdb/passdb.o(.text+0xd): undefined reference to
`ldap_initialize_password_db'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1

With the HEAD code (Samba 3.0, also after modifying the configure script
to enable LDAP):
(Same error as with SAMBA_2_2 code)

So I'm wondering how to make any branch work with LDAP, if its
possible.  Are there patches floating around?  Is there any active
development going on with respect to LDAP in Samba?  Samba is a great
piece of software but it would be even greater and more enterprise
friendly if LDAP support was a part of the base.  I wish I was a better
coder....

Thanks,

Kevin

--