Need for FAQ & Howtos about samba-TNG + SWAT problems

Michael Glauche mg at plum.de
Wed Jul 26 12:25:35 GMT 2000

(
> meaning create users in Unix and then use smbpasswd utility to create
> workstations & users accounts ) ? Must I use domain group map and domain
> user map options in smb.conf with samba TNG ?

Its about the same, but this IS in the links ;)
you CAN use domain group map and domain user map, it's not mandantory ;)

> 2° Is it possible with such a configuration to allow joining domain
directly
> with the tools of Windows NT ?

(This should be also on the links I posted .. :)
Yes. with TNG you can skip the smbpasswd -a -m machine$ part
of the usre creation, if you specify the ROOT (*yuck* ... has
to be as smbpasswd is allways -rw------ !!! :(((()
user and password (you must add him to the smbpasswd, of course)

> 3° How to establish a trust relationship with another domain ?

ah .. that thing is *very* experimental, it was discussed not long
ago here ... (how to make it work with CVS)

> 4° I think the printing routines are better with samba TNG. Is that true ?
> (closer to NT mode )? enabling printing is as with 2.0.x ?

No. Printing is better in HEAD. HEAD and TNG printing is very simmilar
(the same new code by JF :), with the difference that the TNG code is more
buggy ;)
(I did try the TNG printing some  time ago, but ran into a couple of
problems ...)

> 5° What is the purpose of samedit ? Is this tool useful only for SAM
> replication between PDC and BDC ?

Samedit will hopefully replace the "smbpasswd" utility in TNG. it is a more
"sane" version of rpcclient, and maybe even some sort of usrmgr.exe in a
console app.

> I apologize for asking so much questions, and I appreciate your help. By
the
> way, feel free to send me your config files (smb.conf especially), even
more
> in the case you have the same kind of configuration.

regards,
     Michael