Samba PDC and Jetadmin

Heinz Christian Christian.Heinz at nbg9.siemens.de
Wed Jul 26 12:19:44 GMT 2000

Hi!

your problem is not the jetdirect - it is instead the printing subsystem.
if you use a kind of bsd lpr, then only root or the owner (user!) of the job
can interact with it.
so you have root:somegroup as permissions for all lpr queues and lpr/lpq/lpc
knows via the
print-control-file about the owner.

via samba, this does not work if you have the printers shared for groups or
you use user-mappings.

have a look instead on lprng - there you can set up via /etc/lpd.conf which
user(s) can control the queues.
an side effect is that displaying print jobs in printmanager and
pause/restart queues works also ;-)