[TNG] Status (and merging)

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Sun Jul 23 23:29:53 GMT 2000

At 06:07 AM 24/07/2000 +1000, Gerald Carter wrote:
>Besides, all this, the architechtural differences between
>TNG and HEAD make it almost impossible to merge the two
>without simply a wholesale replacement.  And that won't
>happen since it would break countless already installed
>servers and configurations.

Does this mean that we are heading into the same dead end that stopped the
'old head branch' circa mid '99 ?  I still have two domains controlled by
that branch, it did a good job up until about October from memory, when
printing started to get troublesome.

If TNG cannot be merged back into mainstream Samba then that sounds like
mainstream Samba won't do PDC to W2000 and that is plain scary.

Can I suggest the team considers slowing down on some of the gee wiz
functions and concentrating on heading towards a useable product for people
like me who face the prospect of needing a PDC that accepts W2000 clients
and provides performance similar to 'main stream' samba. The pressure for a
product like this is getting pretty significent, even I have started to
think about products from the Evil Empire ! (Not seriously but Samba must
fight to remain relevent).

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au