Yet another oddity

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Thu Jul 6 03:48:11 GMT 2000

Paul J Collins wrote:

> It sounds like Samba has been configured to compete with the PDC in
> the browser elections, and NT-based PDCs expect to be domain master
> browser and local master browser (I think).  As a quick test, try
> setting the following in the [global] section of smb.conf:
>
>     domain master =
>     local master = no
>     preferred master = no
>     os level = 0

I have found that doing this with Samba can quite often leave you off
the browse list. I usually have everything set to yes, but have a low os
level. It forces an election that it will always lose. It usually makes
it appear in the browse list.

Also, We have a couple of Windows 98 (first and second edition) laptops
which occasionally steal Master browser status from the PDC. Not sure
what's up with *that*. ;-)

Matt

--

Matthew Geddes