Yet another oddity

Paul J Collins pjdc at eircom.net
Thu Jul 6 20:01:00 GMT 2000

    Matthew> Also, We have a couple of Windows 98 (first and second
    Matthew> edition) laptops which occasionally steal Master browser
    Matthew> status from the PDC. Not sure what's up with *that*. ;-)

There's an option somewhere in the TCP/IP properties in Windows 9x; I
think it's on the NetBIOS tab, or maybe Advanced..  It's called
"Become Master", and turning it off on your 98 boxen may help.

Issues such as these can turn up if you run more than one protocol on
your network; I believe that elections are fought over separate
protocols, and the TCP/IP browse master may not be the IPX/SPX browse
master.  (I think this is correct.)

There one of the browsing text documents (BROWSING.txt ?) in the Samba
distribution covers all of this, including the reason for WINS (hint:
subnets) and why you should only use one protocol on your Windows
boxen.

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Collins <pjdc at eircom.net> - - - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD