TNG? Does it work?

Paul J Collins pjdc at eircom.net
Sun Jul 2 22:59:02 GMT 2000

    Holger> were I 'started' yesterday, hmm, today :) Some things
    Holger> changed, but I cannot seem to get it working on win2k, on
    Holger> 98 everythings' working fine.

I believe that domain logons in current CVS are broken.  Try getting a
CVS tree with the tag SAMBA_TNG_2_5_GOOD; this version has worked
pretty well for NT domain logins.  Password changing doesn't work in
SAMBA_TNG_2_5_GOOD, however.

Window 98 is "working" for you because the Windows 9x line uses a
different and older set of protocols for domain logon than the ones NT
uses.  98 uses SMB calls, while NT uses DEC/RPC calls to a different
port.  The fact that your Windows 98 box works does not indicate that
TNG's new domain controller functionality is working.  The only way to
test TNG is using a Win2K or NT box, preferably an NT box because 2000
interacts with NT domains differently.

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Collins <sneakums at eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD