[SAMBA-TNG] using and createing libsmb and libmsrpc

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Wed Jan 26 10:05:09 GMT 2000

[Tim Cole]
> If you're using libtool, it might be being clever and hard-coding the
> library installation paths in the binaries.  (it does on some
> architectures)

Last I knew, libtool used "rpath" (hard-coding the library search path)
on all architectures that support it.  Which, though it is subtly
different from what you describe, would produce the same effect in this
case.

There was quite a flamewar on the debian-devel list some time ago about
this.  The libtool author believes in rpath, the Debian people don't.
Long story.  I think they decided to just go their separate ways,
i.e. Debian packages that use libtool are now built with a
Debian-specific libtool.

* back to topic at hand *

Luke, if you're curious (and if you use Linux), use `ldd' to see what
libraries are being used by a given binary.  If it says

  libsmb.so => /home/lkcl/build/tng/.../libsmb.so.0

then the dynamic linker is resolving the path.  If instead it's

  /home/lkcl/build/tng/.../libsmb.so => /home/lkcl/build/tng/.../libsmb.so.0

then the path is being hard-coded in.

Peter