[SAMBA-TNG] using and createing libsmb and libmsrpc

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Jan 26 17:49:34 GMT 2000

@begin off-topic

> this.  The libtool author believes in rpath, the Debian people don't.

[well, belief is a bloody nuisance that just irritates people like me.  i
don't "believe" things, i either know them or i don't.  i associate
knowledge with the context in which it was received or generated, and pass
it on or use it as appropriate, if i think that the context is
appropriate.  e.g i don't talk to edenists about darwin!]

the author of libtool should not be so inflexible as to decide that his
way is best, period, and should put in a means to accomodate the debian
method as a libtool option, disabled by default.

we're so lucky to be in open source, because if the libtool author was a
proprietary developer, both us and the debian people would be screwed.

> * back to topic at hand *

yes.

@end off-topic

> Luke, if you're curious

to be honest, not really, but i appreciate that other people might be!

> (and if you use Linux), use `ldd' to see what
> libraries are being used by a given binary.  If it says
>
>   libsmb.so => /home/lkcl/build/tng/.../libsmb.so.0

it does this.

> then the dynamic linker is resolving the path.  If instead it's
>
>   /home/lkcl/build/tng/.../libsmb.so => /home/lkcl/build/tng/.../libsmb.so.0
>
> then the path is being hard-coded in.

it doesn't do this.