Samba-TNG PDC <- Samba pre-3.0.0 join failed

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Sat Feb 19 17:56:48 GMT 2000

hi alex,

what you have done is... ask a non-TNG server to join the domain.  what
you will need to do instead is to log in to GISGATE and use smbpasswd
*locally*. to join it to the domain.

why?  because GISGATE, being a 3.0 srv, doesn't support lsar_set_secret.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Alexander Davydenko wrote:

> it may be known problem, but I couldn't join samba server to samba-tng
> controlled domain.
>

> root at rover:/usr/local/samba/bin# samedit -S rover -U root%lala -l
> ./var/sameditlog -d 100 -W ORG
> [ORG\root at ROVER]$ use \\gisgate -U root%fafa
> use \\gisgate -U root%fafa

> Server: \\GISGATE:      User:   root    Domain:
> Connection:     OK
> [ORG\root at ROVER]$ createuser gisgate$ -j
> createuser gisgate$ -j
>
> SAM Create Domain User
> Domain: ORG Name: gisgate$ ACB: [W          ]
> Create Domain User: OK
> Join GISGATE to Domain ORG
> Set $MACHINE.ACC: FAILED
> [ORG\root at ROVER]$ use \\irene -U Administrator%lala
> use \\irene -U Administrator%lala
>
> Server: \\IRENE:        User:   Administrator   Domain:
> Connection:     OK
> [ORG\root at ROVER]$ createuser irene$ -j
> createuser irene$ -j
>
> SAM Create Domain User
> Domain: ORG Name: irene$ ACB: [W          ]
> Create Domain User: OK
> Join IRENE to Domain ORG
> Create $MACHINE.ACC: OK
> Set $MACHINE.ACC: OK
> [ORG\root at ROVER]$ quit
>
> GISGATE is running Samba pre-3.0.0, and IRENE running NT4.
> after that, I got a 512k log from samedit.
> On the GISGATE side there is a big log too with :
>
> [2000/02/19 14:15:35, 0]
> passdb/smbpassfile.c:trust_password_lock(119)
>   trust_password_lock: cannot open file
> /usr/local/samba/private/WORKGROUP.GISGATE.mac - Error was No such file or
> directory.
> [2000/02/19 14:15:35, 0]
> passdb/smbpassfile.c:trust_get_passwd(288)
>   domain_client_validate: unable to open the machine account password file
> for machine GISGATE in domain WORKGROUP.
>

> --
> Alexander Davydenko			|
> alex at javad.ru, mba_69 at chat.ru		| Moscow, USSR
> 		<<<<< 	Powered by Linux & 220V   >>>>>

ISBN1578701503 DCE/RPC over SMB: Samba and Windows NT Domain Internals