Still having problems with latest CVS and win2k joining a samba controlled domain

Chris Leavoy chrisleavoy at home.com
Fri Dec 1 18:57:57 GMT 2000

As shown in the subject, I'm still having problems with the latest CVS of
samba 2.2.  When joining the win2k clients to the domain, I logon using root
(which is also in smbpasswd) and after about 30 or a minute it comes up with
the message welcome to the domain "workgroup".  In those 30-60 seconds,
there is around 50 pages of messages in the log.smd with a log level of 3.
And at the end of it all, there is some garbage about invalid uid, unable to
set uid blah blah, where uid is some weird NEGATIVE number... so it defaults
to 0:0 and then "panics" and blurts stuff about an internal error occured.
About 10 seconds after the panic message, win2k pops up welcome to the
domain.  I reboot the win2k machine, and when I try to login to the domain,
I get the follow error:

The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer
account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is
incorrect.

Has anyone else experienced this situation, or know what on earth is wrong?
Any suggestions or comments on how to resolve this issue is greatly
appreciated.  If there is any information that I left out that could help
isolate the problem, feel free to ask.

I tried this whole thing with a different win2k box, which btw has sp1, and
this time I got the error message "unable to log in to the domain because
the netlogon services is not started."  Well, that's bullshit, because I
used the other win2k machine to remote admin, and saw that the netlogon
service was indeed started and running.  I suspect not, but could this be a
samba related problem?

Here are some cut-outs of my config.

[global]
encrypt passwords = Yes
domain logons = Yes
update encrypted = Yes

[netlogon]
	comment = The domain logon service
	path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
	read only = yes
browseable = yes

[homes]
	comment = Home Directory
 locking = No

/etc/passwd:
laptop$:*:2002:103:laptop::

smbpasswd:
laptop$:2002:6A949FC0CA0B8F656110CFF0D031479B:9B9BABBC39B986FEBEAA77BDBFE696
BA:[W          ]:LCT-3A27EC49:

NOTE: the above was added automagically to smbpasswd.

Thanks for your help,
Chris Leavoy