password synchronization - again!

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Tue Aug 29 23:26:03 GMT 2000

Kevin Colby wrote:

> For this exact reason, many places do not allow users to change
> their password from within Unix or MacOS.  Users are often referred
> to a "special" web page or some such script that properly sets all
> the various passwords.  Although an NIS setup with Samba integration
> may be possible, IMHO the only real hope for the future here
> (allowing all the various local password changing schemes to work)
> is LDAP, although I have not heard of anyone actually getting
> LDAP to work for NT and Unix together.  You could still try using
> a TNG PDC, but then you have to deal with any TNG limitations
> as well (BDC replication & interdomain trust?).
>
> If anyone has an answer to this, I'd love to hear it.
>
>         - Kevin Colby
>           kevinc at grainsystems.com

I don't believe LDAP really won't solve the problem by itself, as both
NT and Unix use several different password encryption algorithms.
Running Samba TNG with LDAP Looks as though it will come close, as the
Samba and Unix account information is stored together. The only
outstanding problem is getting the passwords to synchronise....

If Samba does this using PAM, then that's perfect.
It it just edits /etc/passwd by itself, I'm screwed. ;-)

I have configured it on a couple of test machines (using /etc/passwd for
now), but to no avail. Even with passwd chat debug = true and debug
level 100, I get nothing about password changes in my logs :-(

Matt

--

Matthew Geddes
Network Manager

...And by the way, Lars Kneschke's Samba TNG FAQ is at
http://www.kneschke.de/projekte/samba_tng/faq/index.php3