password synchronization - again!

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Tue Aug 29 22:37:25 GMT 2000

For this exact reason, many places do not allow users to change
their password from within Unix or MacOS.  Users are often referred
to a "special" web page or some such script that properly sets all
the various passwords.  Although an NIS setup with Samba integration
may be possible, IMHO the only real hope for the future here
(allowing all the various local password changing schemes to work)
is LDAP, although I have not heard of anyone actually getting
LDAP to work for NT and Unix together.  You could still try using
a TNG PDC, but then you have to deal with any TNG limitations
as well (BDC replication & interdomain trust?).

If anyone has an answer to this, I'd love to hear it.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com