Samba - Linux - NT-passwords

root packebus at ba-loerrach.de
Thu Aug 24 15:26:56 GMT 2000

Hi all,

found this mail in the digest...

On or more questions according to it, maybe someone could give me
answers...

For Samba 2.0.7 there was a way to get users out of the NT-Server-box,
(with pwdump) and using these with samba and their old passwords (in the
smbpasswd file). That worked fine for me as I didn't need to care about
getting those passwords into LINUX. According to the mail below, this
won't work anymore, because there isn't a smbpasswd file anymore.
The problem I have now is, that I am planning to migrate (as Test first)
a NT-Server to a Samba-TNG Server. I do know how to migrate the NT-Users
to LINUX users but I'm not able to keep their passwords. How can I get
those Windows passwords working on LINUX without forcing everybody to
set a new one ???

I'm quite new on this topic, Samba-TNG is almost new to me... Anyone who
knows some kind of an answer???

Thanx, Sven

[James Curry]
            > But I'm 99% certain that the smbpasswd file is still
necessary on
            > your Samba server if you are using encrypted passwords
(which most
            > people do.)

            Nope, it's the other 1%. (: For `security=server' and
`security=domain'
            you need Unix accounts but you do *not* need a smbpasswd
file. I've
            done without one for years....

            > I don't know that these replace smbpasswd. I don't think
I'd
            > classify the smbpasswd file as a mapping mechanism to unix
accounts.

            Right, it's not. `username map' is, as you said. The
smbpasswd file
            is just a way of keeping extra information about an account
that isn't
            in the system password file -- like the NT-encrypted
password and the
            user attributes.

            Peter