print spool directory filling up

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Thu Aug 10 14:32:32 GMT 2000

"Melissa M. Thrush" wrote:

> Michael,
>
> > Hmm .. it looks allright, lpr -r tells the unix printing sysgtem to print
> > and remove
> > the file if it was successfull.
> > <wild guess mode on>
> > >[printers]
> > >   comment = All Printers
> > >   path = /usr/local/samba/print
> > >   available = yes
> > >   browseable = yes
> > >   printable = yes
> > >   public = yes
> > >   writable = yes
> > >   create mode = 0700
> >
> > could that be the problem ? (i.e. has lpr the rights to delete the file ?
> > log in as the user that did the printing and try that lpr command on
> > the spool file, and see if it gets deleted)
> > </wild guess mode on>
>
> Thanks for the tip, however I just logged in as one of the users on our
> Samba server and typed the command:  lpr -r -Pmaxl5 /etc/resolv.conf
>
> The file printed fine and I didn't see an entry in /usr/local/samba/print
> so it must be something else related to when the users print from
> Win95/Win98?

When you print with samba the file is first downloaded by samba in
/usr/local/samba/print and then printed.
What you need to check is that users may delete files in
/usr/local/samba/print directory.
Think of giving that directory perimssion 1777 (as tmp).

To test the problem with current settings try to print a file that is
located in /usr/local/samba/print:

  login as user X
  X$ cp /etc/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/print
  X$ lpr -r /usr/local/samba/print/smb.conf

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451