print spool directory filling up

Melissa M. Thrush mmt4q at ee.virginia.edu
Thu Aug 10 15:00:49 GMT 2000

Simo,

> When you print with samba the file is first downloaded by samba in
> /usr/local/samba/print and then printed.
> What you need to check is that users may delete files in
> /usr/local/samba/print directory.
> Think of giving that directory perimssion 1777 (as tmp).
>
> To test the problem with current settings try to print a file that is
> located in /usr/local/samba/print:
>
>   login as user X
>   X$ cp /etc/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/print
>   X$ lpr -r /usr/local/samba/print/smb.conf

I logged in as user X and copied the smb.conf to /usr/local/samba/print

I then entered the lpr command:  lpr -r -Pmaxl5
/usr/local/samba/print/smb.conf

Again, the file printed fine but the file remained in
/usr/local/samba/print

The directory permissions on /usr/local/samba/print were:

drwxrwxrwx   2 root     other      68096 Aug 10 10:40 print/

I changed them by typing "chmod 1777 print" to:

drwxrwxrwt   2 root     other      68096 Aug 10 10:40 print/

But still had the same problem.

The user X can manually delete the file by typing rm
/usr/local/samba/print/smb.conf

Thanks for your help,  any more ideas?

Melissa
--
Melissa Thrush                              Dept. of Electrical Engineering
mthrush at virginia.edu                        University of Virginia