print spool directory filling up

Michael Glauche mg at plum.de
Thu Aug 10 13:42:53 GMT 2000

> Hi,
>
> I have our Win95/Win98 clients using Samba to print to our dept. networked
> printers.  Recently I noticed that the printer spool directory is filling
> up.  Should this be happening?  If not, what do I need to change in order
> for the file to just appear "briefly" and then be removed?
>
> Lines from smb.conf
>
>    printing = bsd
>    printcap name = /etc/printers.conf
>    load printers = yes
> ; these commands are needed to print and remove print jobs
>    print command = /usr/ucb/lpr -r -P%p %s
>    lpq command = /usr/ucb/lpq -P%p
>    lprm command = /usr/ucb/lprm -P%p %j
> Some entries in /usr/local/samba/print
>
> -rwx------   1 mb9q     users    2485713 Aug  9 15:07 mbpc.0kkF_F*
> -rwx------   1 mb9q     users    2485713 Aug  9 15:03 mbpc.0pRpEa*
> -rwx------   1 mb9q     users    2485713 Aug  9 15:00 mbpc.zd1gG_*

Hmm .. it looks allright, lpr -r tells the unix printing sysgtem to print
and remove
the file if it was successfull.
<wild guess mode on>
>[printers]
>   comment = All Printers
>   path = /usr/local/samba/print
>   available = yes
>   browseable = yes
>   printable = yes
>   public = yes
>   writable = yes
>   create mode = 0700

could that be the problem ? (i.e. has lpr the rights to delete the file ?
log in as the user that did the printing and try that lpr command on
the spool file, and see if it gets deleted)
</wild guess mode on>

regards,
    Michael