print spool directory filling up

Melissa M. Thrush mmt4q at ee.virginia.edu
Thu Aug 10 13:28:32 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have our Win95/Win98 clients using Samba to print to our dept. networked
printers.  Recently I noticed that the printer spool directory is filling
up.  Should this be happening?  If not, what do I need to change in order
for the file to just appear "briefly" and then be removed?

Lines from smb.conf

   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printers.conf
   load printers = yes
; these commands are needed to print and remove print jobs
   print command = /usr/ucb/lpr -r -P%p %s
   lpq command = /usr/ucb/lpq -P%p
   lprm command = /usr/ucb/lprm -P%p %j

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/local/samba/print
   available = yes
   browseable = yes
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   create mode = 0700

Some entries in /usr/local/samba/print

-rwx------   1 mb9q     users    2485713 Aug  9 15:07 mbpc.0kkF_F*
-rwx------   1 mb9q     users    2485713 Aug  9 15:03 mbpc.0pRpEa*
-rwx------   1 mb9q     users    2485713 Aug  9 15:00 mbpc.zd1gG_*

I'm running Samba 2.0.6 as a PDC (encrypted passwords) so Win95/Win98
users have to login.  All WinNT pc clients are printing directly to our
Unix print server and the printer queue.

Thanks,

Melissa
--
Melissa Thrush                              Dept. of Electrical Engineering
mthrush at virginia.edu                        University of Virginia