Sync issue with encrypted passwords

Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 13:14:31 GMT 1999

I recall a brief discussion of this in the NTDOM archive ...somwhere in time

To change the password without the old password didn't the samba server
need to be on the NIS domain controller?  or
a hacked version of passwd was necessary to avoid asking for the old password under
UNIX?

In either case I still don't see how samba calls passwd with the plain text password
when encrypted passwords are used unless it unhashes it.... or sets the hash as the password :-o

Can someone enlighten me or point me to the thread? a search on "passwd chat encrypt" didn't
find it.