Roaming Profiles

Hendrik den Hartog hartog at ihug.co.nz
Tue Sep 21 15:05:45 GMT 1999

On Mon 20 Sep, Rafa³ Szcze¶niak wrote:

> Cynthia La Vigne wrote:

> > [SNIP - as the snipped bits have been answered]

> > Does my samba server have to be my PDC or is it possible for my PDC to
> > be an NT machine and just have the username.dat files reside on my samba
> > server?

 NT PDC and Profiles (i.e. user.dat and 'the rest') on a SAMBA machine is
 possible. I presume?? you mean for Windows 9X machines, as for NT
 workstations, doing this is intuitive.

 [For Windows 9X machines]
 Whatever path you use for the Users Directory in the User Manager on the
 PDC will be used for Profiles. We have a NT PDC, with user Directories
 and Profiles on a SAMBA Server. We  keep these seperate by exporting
 the 'homes' share under a different share name, then use a Logon script
 to map that share to a drive on the client machines.

 IMO the way Networked Profiles are handled by Win9X machines is messy.
 Controlling them is even messier.

 Cheers!

--
   Hendrik den Hartog- Pasadena Intermediate School- Auckland- NZ