UID's too large??

Matthew Kirkwood weejock at ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 1 15:55:23 GMT 1999

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Matthew Keller wrote:

> I'm running RH Linux 6.0 and Samba 2.0.5a - My userids were pretty
> high (290000) and although Linux didn't mind, and Netatalk+asun didn't
> mind, samba refused connections saying:

Well that's a bug then.  While userspace uid_t in glibc is 32-bit (at
least on Intel), the kernel only knows about 16-bit userids.

That netatalk/&c don't complain is indication of them being buggy, and
not checking return values.  You'll probably find that they're running
as root or as (uid % 65536), neither of which is exactly a good idea.

Advice: fix your /etc/passwd file.  There are 32-bit uid patches for the
kernel and glibc, but I wouldn't advise using them is you can avoid it.

Matthew.