UID's too large??

Matthew Keller kellermg at potsdam.edu
Wed Sep 1 15:47:43 GMT 1999

	I'm running RH Linux 6.0 and Samba 2.0.5a - My userids were pretty high
(290000) and although Linux didn't mind, and Netatalk+asun didn't mind,
samba refused connections saying:

Couldn't set effective uid to 262969. Currently set to (real=0,eff=0).
Error was Invalid argument.

	Followed by:

Could be your OS doesn't like high uid values - try using a different
account

	Followed by:

Can't become connected user!

	The result on the users side (Win9x clients) was a dialog box asking
for a password to the requested service.

	Any thoughts? I wrote a script to move around UID's on the fly when
Samba users connect- It takes them an extra second initialy, but it
works as a stop gap solution. Any ideas?

--

          - Matthew Keller -
       Lead Programmer/Analyst

Web: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/