[RFC] LDAP user management tools

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Oct 13 21:42:10 GMT 1999

Seth Vidal wrote:

> as long as there is mention/functions available
> for setting both samba and unix passwords(stored
> in an LDAP database) at set time.

This would be fairly easy from the client side.
The real issue would be having the schema
configured on the LDAP server.

> I think also that while it maybe wise to not
> extend smbpasswd it might also be wise to consider
> supporting flat file writing (not just ldap
> databases) so this tool can be used for smbpasswd
> file maintenence as well.

Support smbpasswd would not be that hard.  You
would loose the platform indenpendence though
since the tool would have to run local to the
smbpasswd file itself.

jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )