[RFC] LDAP user management tools

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Oct 13 21:12:11 GMT 1999

I'm in the process of building some tools
for manipulating users in a Samba LDAP account
backend.  This will mostly likely be ing Perl
using the Mozilla::LDAP module.

Here's the RFC...

Right now, I have an quick and dirty script to upload
a smbpasswd file to the LDAP server.  My plan are to
also include tools for...

   * add / deleting accounts
   * enabling / disabling accounts
   * setting passwords
   * updating account information

etc...

I know that I could just extend .../bin/smbpasswd, but
writing the scripts in Perl would also allow for a Perl/TK
GUI that could run on any platform for the most part (Windows,
Solaris, Linux, etc...)  This would basically be a Usrmgr
type interface with the headache of RPC and named pipes.

What say everyone?  is there enough interest for this?
>From my part of view the automation scripts come first
and the GUI later.

Comments, suggestions and/or help welcome,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )