SAMBA 2.0 and SP5

Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk
Mon Oct 11 10:15:08 GMT 1999

Some progress

Recap:
 2.1pre-alpha 10-9-99 NT4 clients SP3,4,5

 Symptoms:

 Roaming profiles becoming "corrupted" ( eg Desktop settings, program settings going astray)
 or "Using cached profile" type messages

 "Could not locate domain controller for domain XXXXX" (XXXX=local domain, single subnet) so
 logins failing.

 I am running WINS, I did not use local LMHOSTS files

 It seems putting an entry in client LMHOSTS file for the PDC works a little wonder

 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  mypdchost  #PRE #DOM:mydomain
 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  "mypdchost      \0x1b"  #PRE   (carefull with the spaces 15chars+\0x1b)

 seems to improve the situation considerably. No longer get the "could not locate domain controller"
 messages, though it is early days to say that the problem has definitely worked around.

 My Samba PDC= my WINS server = logon server  so it takes quite a hit at logon.

 My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the name resolution request( h-node type?) (for the PDC?)
at logon was timing out. I thought that the fallback was to broadcast, which should have been
OK (all on same subnet).

If I've got #PREloaded LMHOSTS entries anyone know if WINS is still called first for those entries?
(would seem unnessary) Is not clear to me from Resource Kit book.

Also, "Using cached profile" has disappeared on the machines I changed to have LMHOSTS
though this was rather intermittant so needs watching for longer.