Problems with samba as PDC

Mike Harris mike at psand.net
Fri Nov 19 18:32:02 GMT 1999

Matthias,

Apologies for re-iterating the same thing again, just realised something.

The point of all this to me is that really the only point of confusing is
when Samba is acting as a PDC.  The settings for this are security=USER and
domain logons=YES.  Even though these are exactly specifying what's really
going on from the SMB point of view, I believe that this is the cause of the
confusion.

Under NT, a PDC and a Server are taken to be very different things
(requiring the re-installation of the OS to change!) although in essence
they're actually very similar bar the Domain Groups etc.  So all that needs
to happen is clarification of this action by making a value, PDC the same as
USER, therefore advoiding the confusion.

Hope this is useful,

Mike.