Problems with samba as PDC

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Fri Nov 19 20:49:08 GMT 1999

Mike Harris wrote:

> [...] all that needs to happen is clarification of this
> action by making a value, PDC the same as USER, therefore
> advoiding the confusion.

This is, in my opinion, the best solution.

True, it doesn't reflect the behavior as accurately as other
suggestions would.

However, the problem here is not with people that actually read
all the documentation.  The problem, as Mike mentioned, is really
just with newbies setting "security = domain" when they want a PDC.

Changing specs is not a good idea unless you really have to
(ask any Samba developer *grin*).  Therefore, it seems prudent
to change as little as absolutely possible to accomodate these
newbies.  Adding an alias "pdc" for "user" would take care of
that with the most minimal impact on code, configuration, and
documentation (remember that we are going to be haunted by old
docs for years, folks).

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com