mksmbpasswd

Paul Warren pdw at ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 22:28:28 GMT 1999

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Tavis Barr wrote:

> All that mksmbpasswd does is write a correctly-formatted SMB password
> file with an invalid entry in the password field.  This means that all of
> your users have to change their smbpasswd before they can use Samba.  The
> only way to keep Unix and Samba passwords synchronized is if you (1) use
> the unix passwd sync option or (2) rewrite your /bin/passwd command so
> that it changes both passwords at once.

There is a PAM module around that allows you to do exactly this.  It is
then trivial to set up such that /bin/passwd changes both passwords, with
whatever password quality checking you feel like imposing with eg.
pam_limits.so

I'm afraid I don't have the URL for the module to hand, but does anyone
know if there is any intention to include it with the distribution?

cheers,

Paul