mksmbpasswd

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Tue Nov 16 23:32:55 GMT 1999

At 09:31 AM 17/11/1999 +1100, Paul Warren wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Tavis Barr wrote:
>
>> All that mksmbpasswd does is .....
>
>There is a PAM module around that allows you to do exactly this.  It is
>then trivial to set up such that /bin/passwd changes both passwords, with
>whatever password quality checking you feel like imposing with eg.
>pam_limits.so
>
>I'm afraid I don't have the URL for the module to hand, but does anyone
>know if there is any intention to include it with the distribution?

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~airlied/pam_smb/

PAM_SMB might be what you mean. You can (on a PAM enabled system) do away
with passwords in /etc/passwd altogether. Still need an entry for home dir,
shell etc but rely on ~/smbpasswd for the passwd stuff. Samba goes directly
to ~/smbpasswd and you can allow ftp, telnet, shell and/or http access (as
you select) via PAM and ~/smbpasswd. Makes for a much simpler system to
look after, no password sync required, better security and you can control
access to any number of servers via PAM.

David

David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au