mksmbpasswd

Tavis Barr tavis at mahler.econ.columbia.edu
Mon Nov 15 09:40:51 GMT 1999

No.  mksmbpasswd will not synchronize your Unix and SMB password files.
In fact, such a synchronization is impossible to do with a single command
(at least it had better be impossible or all our security is in
trouble).  Both the Unix and SMB password encryptions are designed to be
one-way encryptions, and they use different encryption algorithms.  This
means that order to sync your Unix and SMB passwords, your program would
have to decrypt one of the files (probably your /etc/passwd file), which
hopefully it can't do (if it can then all of your passwords are
completely knowable to anyone with such a routine).

All that mksmbpasswd does is write a correctly-formatted SMB password
file with an invalid entry in the password field.  This means that all of
your users have to change their smbpasswd before they can use Samba.  The
only way to keep Unix and Samba passwords synchronized is if you (1) use
the unix passwd sync option or (2) rewrite your /bin/passwd command so
that it changes both passwords at once.

Good luck,
Tavis

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, LEYMARIE Gerard wrote:

> More application, can I use a cron to synchronise every 30 minutes
> /etc/passwd and smbpasswd file?
>
> Thks, Gerard

Tavis Barr                           ,-~~-.___.
Senior Systems Coordinator          / |  '     \
Institute for Social and Economic  (  )        0
   Theory and Research              \_/-, ,----'
509E Int'l Affairs Bldg                ====           //
Columbia University                   /  \-'~;    /~~~(O)
212-854-4237                         /  __/~|   /       |
tavis at mahler.econ.columbia.edu     =(  _____| (_________|