logon servers with both NT and Samba

Lanny Baron lnb at cybertouch.org
Mon Nov 1 06:20:54 GMT 1999

Hello,
Would someone please explain if you have an NT server running and you
have say 2 FreeBSD/Samba boxes and a few 98 machines, can one of the
Samba boxes be a logon server? If the answer is no, then what would you do
in the case of having multiple NT servers for netlogon.

The reason I ask is this. I am a student in an MCSE program and as well run
Samba on the FreeBSD platform. So I have not had the opportunity to work
for a company where situations like this may or may not ocure.

I use NT for dial-ups that I provide and for setting policy for different users
(just to learn policy for 98/nt course) but I use one Samba box for the users
/home/user  for thier personal files and for their own web sites. I have noticed
though in the user manager for domains on NT, in the policy part, where  you
put logon to: i have it set to \\freedom\%username%  which translates to
machine freedom /home/user. When I saw a logon for myself I noticed that it
put directories such as application  Cookies  Desktop....why is it putting
those directories there? All I want it to do is be able to have the users be
able to use z:\  as thier personal private dir. Is there anyway of doing this?

My current smb.conf for that machine (freedom) is set to domain logons =
No  but yet as explained above, the dir's are put on the unix server.

I am totally confused.

Thanks for reading this and thank you in advance for any help you may offer.

Regards,
Lanny