PDC + unix password sync

Dave J. Andruczyk dave at www.buffalostate.edu
Wed May 19 15:05:58 GMT 1999

> > not necessarily.  If you have a PAM system (redhat, solaris) you can use
> > the pam_smb.so module to authenticate from a samba or NT server...
> >
> > Works GREAT. (I use it so users can use netatalk and samba with the same
> > username/passwords)
>
> We've got three different systems by now: Solaris, NT, Linux; each has
> its own password and user database. Now we want to set up a samba server
> (Linux) that has got the home directories and also the password
> database.
>
> I've understood that the samba and unix password both can be changed by
> the NT clients. So the other way is much more interesting for me.
>
> Does PAM also support NIS-authenticated clients? What about new users?
>
> Or would it be better to change a unix user's passwd with a script that
> calls both smbpasswd and passwd?

Pam has varying degrees of NIS support. I'm most familiar with using it on
Redhat 5.2 in which NIS was partially broken in PAM. (you had to use an
older PAM module to get shadow over NIS working). I beleive this has been
resolved in redhat 6.0. I would assume that pam and NIS work together
quite well on the solaris systems, though I have less experience in that
arena.

the unix passwd sync can call "yppasswd" as long as you setup the chat
options appropriately..

Dave J. Andruczyk
Instructional Support Associate
Department of Technology