PDC + unix password sync

Matthias Wächter matthias at waechter.wol.at
Tue May 18 16:20:49 GMT 1999

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Alexander Dubielczyk wrote:

> [...] Yes, I already thought so. Although the opposite would be
> much more interesting for me. I wanted to use the Linux System
> as a Fileserver for Windows Workstations. The users there should
> not come in contact with the unix shell. So I wanted to to make
> them change their passwords through Webmin or a similar system.
> But those systems only support the change of the standard unix
> accounts. :-(

??? Why use the web? Just press CTRL-ALT-DEL and select "change password"
on your NT computer. If Unix Password Sync is enabled (and everything
works), then both the smbpasswd-password and the passwd-password are
changed correctly. Not even a Web interface is needed this way (which
would, btw, transmit unencrypted passwords).

> I hope it will soon be possible to change the passwords and user
> configuration with client tools from windows.

With WinNT (4SP3) it works perfectly, Win98 already doesn't work correctly
for me. Is there anybody who has a Win98 machine which is able to change a
password via the "Control Panel"->... Change-password-dialog?

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
Bunt ist das Dasein und granatenstark. Und: Volle Kanne, Hoschis!
                         aus: "Bill und Teds verrückte Reise durch die Zeit"