Profiles : always retrieving 'default' prototype.

Frederic Lejal fl at infodesign.net
Mon May 17 16:27:09 GMT 1999

Hi samba gurus !

First of all, thanks to those who helped me with the "No domain
server was available" problem. I have now successfully configured
samba to use netlogons. I also turned on unix passwords
synchronisation without any trouble. If I omit the roaming profile
problem described below, I am ready to migrate this in 'production'
in our team. But I have some problems with the roaming profiles :
each time I log in, I have NT4's default profile, with the
"first-time-in" "Welcome to Windows NT" tips box (without the little
checkbox to avoid this window at each login...).

Here is my configuration :

Server (prospero): RedHat Linux 5.2, Samba 2.0.3
Client: Windows NT 4SP4 Workstation

smb.conf :

   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U\Profile

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   valid users = %S
   writable = no
   write list = %S
   create mask =  0774

[Profiles]
   path = /home
   writeable = yes
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes

logon script (generated by a perl script, which replaces %U by the user login):

NET USE U: \\prospero\%U
NET TIME \\prospero /YES /SET

Client : DeleteRoamingCache=1(dWord)
(to be sure we use the one on the server, at least during the test
phase).

I have read in the mailing archive that Luis Claudio R. Goncalves
(13 jan 1999) is successfully running this configuration (at least
Profiles section and logon path). Unfortunately, I am not able to
have it working here.

When I login, I sometimes have the "slow network message". Then I
insist to have NT retrieving the profile on the server...and obtain
the default 'first time login' profile. I apply some modifications
(removing briefcase from the desktop for example), and logout.

Then, I can see the date of NTUser.dat changed on the server...but
not the Desktop subfolder. If I login again, this is the same story.

If I start with an empty "Profile" directory in the home directory,
it is filled with the well known "Desktop", "StartUp", ... folders
after the first logout. But then, I still have the default profile
when logging in, as if it was the first time !

It seems this is not a permission problem, as some folders and files
are created if Profile is empty. Also, NTUser.dat timestamp is
modified at each logout. What else can it be ?

Any help would really be appreciated (the deadline for my report
about this configuration is not so far \;o).

Best regards,
---
Frederic LEJAL <frederic.lejal at infodesign.net>
InfoDesign Communications S.A.			P: +41-22-771.0440
1 chemin Plein-Vent, CH-1228 Arare-Geneve	F: +41-22-771.0441