win95 & NT4 concurent access to data

Matthew Geier matthew at janus.law.usyd.edu.au
Thu Jan 28 23:04:54 GMT 1999

> On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 06:18:01AM +1100, gandalf at mail.rss.cz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I use samba for one year only, but with full satisfaction. Only with
> > latest cvs tree I discovered some (maybe particular) problem. In mixed
> > environment of win95oemII and NT4 workst (sp3 or sp4) we share some
>
> Yes, I have a similar problems with samba-2.0.0 & WinNT 4.0
> SP3 & one application (for dos) written on FoxPro. Everything
> works fine with 95. I think the problem is with locking code
> and NT smb dialect.

 I just had a locking problem with a localy written application done
with 'Delpi' ?, that works fine with multiple Win95 workstations,
fine with multiple NT workstations, but if a Win95 machine opens the
application first, the NT workstations cant lock the file and the application
aborts. The application allows multiple users to update the one database
file, I assume it does record locking.

 Since this program is our 'online' enrolment application and enrolment
is today, im not in a position to debug any further. Normally the application
is only run on win95 machines, the NT workstations being used for enrolment
were pinched from my NT based student lab...
 There appears to be some sort of incompatablity between win95 and NT file
locking.