win95 & NT4 concurent access to data

Andrey E. Lerman lae at uniyar.ac.ru
Thu Jan 28 22:15:36 GMT 1999

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 06:18:01AM +1100, gandalf at mail.rss.cz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use samba for one year only, but with full satisfaction. Only with
> latest cvs tree I discovered some (maybe particular) problem. In mixed
> environment of win95oemII and NT4 workst (sp3 or sp4) we share some
> Paradox 7.0 database on linux server (Rh5.2 and 2.2.0-pre1 kernel).
> Paradox controls multiuser access to the data with three files:
> PDOXUSRS.NET (user names etc?), and two lock files, PDOXUSRS.LCK and
> PARADOX.LCK. Since I upgraded samba from 1.9.18p10 to latest cvs, Paradox
> is not able to access those files from NT while I access data from win95.
> If accessed only from NT, there is no problem. Packet dump shows access
> error (DOSERR 5). I didn't observed any similar behaviour for Access 97.
> I have read on this list some good advice - get to the postgreSQL. Yes, I
> am working on it, but in meantime I would like to get this working. Did
> anyone observed similar problems with concurent access from 95 and NT?

Yes, I have a similar problems with samba-2.0.0 & WinNT 4.0
SP3 & one application (for dos) written on FoxPro. Everything
works fine with 95. I think the problem is with locking code
and NT smb dialect.
The problem arises when I access the same database from two
NT, or from 95 and NT (if on 95 app started first). No
problems if app started on NT and then on 95.
I tried to debug the problem, but debug level 100 generates
2.5M logs and I don't understand them at all :(
Now we don't have 95 boxes anymore, so I can only send logs
from NT, if needed.

I have also one Paradox 4.5 application. It uses similar
access control scheme (PDOXUSRS.NET, etc) but I didn't
experience any problems with samba-2.0.0.

> I do not use any special oplock options or whatever.

It seems doesn't matter to me. Now I have oplocks disabled.

As a workaround for the problem I set up both sambas (2.0.0
and 1.9.18p10) on the same server (but on different IPs).

--
Andrey E. Lerman @ Yaroslavl State University
ICQ: 9418370, primary email: lae at uniyar.ac.ru
[Lae] on IRCNet, Lae on DALnet.