Samba as PDC for NT wks

Sture Lygren sture at rocketrange.no
Wed Aug 25 13:21:38 GMT 1999

Hi!

This is a follow-up on my first entry here.

I'm running samba2.0.5a on a linux box and would like it to be a PDC for a subnet of 11 PC's running NT4 workstation (SP3).

I've followed the instructions to make a 'computer' account in the smbpasswd file, and I'm using encrypted passwords. Still I get 'Unable to connect to the domain controller for this domain. Have your administrator check your computer account on the domain' when I try to connect to the domain from NT.

Be aware - questions following could be considered stupid ...

1)  Settings in the global section of my smb.conf are (the ones I figured conserned beeing a PDC):
        security = user
        domain master = yes
        domain logons = yes

     Did I miss anything? What?

2) Are the 'logon path' and 'logon home' settings vital? What should they be for NT machines (considering I would like to have profiles stored on each users home directories)?

3) Making the entries in /etc/passwd (to create the computer account with smbpasswd) - should the name be in uppercase, or in lowercase letters? (the machinename on NT is in uppercase letters).

4) Should I make a password for the machine? What should it be?

I've read all the documentation (at least so it feels), but get nowere.

Hope someone will spare some time answering this - it'll be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Sture Lygren