profiles

Alfredo Ramos ralf at is.rice.edu
Thu Aug 5 19:01:21 GMT 1999

Question;

I have samba-2.0.4b running on a Solaris 2.6 box as a PDC. And I want to
keep it from creating profiles (any kind of profiles, roamming or
otherwise). The problem is, samba insists on creating them. If I don't use
the "logon path =" to create roamming profiles, it will create the
profiles on the user's home directory.

Is there a switch that needs to be set, during compile or on smb.conf, to
tell samba not to create profiles? Or, if it absolutely must, to
create them in the client machine? Also, while we're in the profiles
subject, is there a setting in Win/NT to keep it from looking for a
roamming profile when logging into a domain and just use a default local
profile?

The way I have it set right now is I'm using the "logon path =" parameter
but have the profiles share not writeable.

   logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

[profiles]
    path = /usr/site/samba-2.0.4b/profiles
    writable = no
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes

This way it makes an entry in the directory, but the actual profile is
empty. The weird thing is, set this way, NT should ask the user "Unable
to download roamming profile, Use Local?" all the time. But it doesn't.
99% of the time, the login process is very fast, no questions asked. And
this is very fine with me. I can live with 99%. But I've been asked to
eliminate that 1%. The problem is I don't understand why:

1.-Samba insists on creating profiles.

2.- If NT does not find a roamming profile, it does not ask the user if he
wants to use the local one 100% of the time. Obviously it is using it all
the time. And

3.- Can't I set NT to NOT look for roamming profiles while logging into a
domain.

I know these are minor things. Samba is working just great. But not
understanding these three points is bothersome. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Al.

                                                  | Alfredo Ramos
This space available for rent.                    | New Media & Student Computing
Get your product moving. Advertise here!          | Rice University.