How to add NT workstation to Samba controlled domain?

shui at pointsnorth.com shui at pointsnorth.com
Mon Oct 5 23:18:26 GMT 1998

Hello all,

I've fetched the latest CVS Samba code  on Monday, October 5 and
successfully built and installed the
system.  When I tried to add NT workstation to Samba controlled domain, I
encountered a problem.

The Samba NTDOM FAQ said that I need to create an account in /etc/passwd
for the username
<my_workstation's_name$>.  However, all the PCs in our network are getting
the address via
DHCP.  The IP address is different for every reboot and basically there is
no hostnames registered i
n the DNS at all.  My question is:

Should I just add the hostname of the machine as defined in the PC's
configuration: control panel->
network section?

What is the use of defining the hostname$ in the /etc/passwd?  What is it
checked against?

Last but not least, I would like to thank the Samba team for the great work
you've done.

Any comment, advice, pointer ...etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Sandie