How to add NT workstation to Samba controlled domain?

Christian Barth BARTH at cck.uni-kl.de
Tue Oct 6 07:30:55 GMT 1998

> Should I just add the hostname of the machine as defined in the PC's
> configuration: control panel->
> network section?
As far as I know: Yes

> What is the use of defining the hostname$ in the /etc/passwd?  What is it
> checked against?
NT uses the same identification mechanism for users and for machines
in a domain. So you need an machine entery in /../../smbpasswd.
smbpasswd is part of the NT-RID <-> Unix-ID translation and it has to
be ensured that this is unique. So every entery in smbpasswd needs
one in passwd.

Christian