Redhat 5.1, 2.0.0 alpha, what advantage PAM?

MATHOG at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu MATHOG at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
Mon Oct 5 22:37:47 GMT 1998

this information here.  I hope this isn't out of bounds for this group.

>david, information like this really needs an smb.conf file to accompany
>it, to get any sensible answers out of people.

Sorry, I was trying to keep it short.  Does it help any if I add that
I just moved the smb.conf file from the working 1.9.19 SGI system
to the 2.0.0 Linux system?  (And edited one line, see below).
I assumed that it would be upwardly compatible, and testparm didn't
have any problems with it, but as I stated, the 2.0.0 alpha
wouldn't allow logins from the WNT 4 sp3 workstations (but would
allow mounts of shares.)

The outputs from testparm look about the same on both systems. (Full
smb.conf, and outputs from testparm on both platforms follows my
signature.)

On the SGI, testparm shows:

        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 33
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes

and on Linux:

	domain controller = No  <---- this refers to an NT controller, which we don't have
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 33
	preferred master = Yes
	local master = Yes
	domain master = Yes

Looks about the same to me.

The only change I made in smb.conf was to the netlogon path, since the
name of the disk was different on Linux, but the structure was
identical.

There's no /etc/pam.d/samba file now.  If one is required, why doesn't make
install put one in???

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu

********** output of testparms on SGI 1.9.19 alpha ****************
Load smb config files from /usr/samba/lib/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Loaded services file OK.

# Global parameters
        security = USER
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /usr/samba/var/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        printcap name = /usr/samba/printcap
        logon script = scripts\%U.bat
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 33
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins server = 131.215.51.51
        comment = Samba %v
        printing = bsd
        print command = /usr/samba/bin/sambalp %p %s %U %m

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /usr/tmp
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        print ok = Yes
        browseable = No

[netlogon]
        path = /gander/usr/netlogon

[lp]
        comment = LPS17 via seqaxp TEXT only
        path = /usr/tmp
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        print ok = Yes
        printer name = lp
        share modes = No
        oplocks = No

[lps]
        comment = LPS17 via seqaxp Postscript only
        path = /usr/tmp
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        print ok = Yes
        printer name = lps
        share modes = No
        oplocks = No

********** output of testparms on Linux box, 2.0.0alpha ****************

Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Loaded services file OK.
# Global parameters
	workgroup = SAF
	netbios name =
	netbios aliases =
	server string = Samba 2.0.0-prealpha
	interfaces =
	bind interfaces only = No
	security = USER
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	update encrypted = No
	use rhosts = No
	null passwords = No
	password server =
	smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
	hosts equiv =
	root directory = /
	passwd program = /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd
	passwd chat = *old*password* %o\n *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *changed*
	passwd chat debug = No
	username map =
	password level = 0
	username level = 0
	unix password sync = No
	log level = 2
	syslog = 1
	syslog only = No
	log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	timestamp logs = Yes
	protocol = NT1
	read bmpx = Yes
	read raw = Yes
	write raw = Yes
	networkstation user login = No
	nt smb support = Yes
	announce version = 4.2
	announce as = NT
	max mux = 50
	max xmit = 65535
	name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
	max packet = 65535
	max ttl = 259200
	max wins ttl = 518400
	min wins ttl = 21600
	time server = No
	change notify timeout = 60
	deadtime = 0
	getwd cache = Yes
	keepalive = 300
	lpq cache time = 10
	max disk size = 0
	read prediction = No
	read size = 16384
	shared mem size = 1048576
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	stat cache size = 50
	load printers = Yes
	printcap name = /usr/local/samba/printcap
	printer driver file = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers.def
	strip dot = No
	character set =
	mangled stack = 50
	coding system =
	client code page = 850
	stat cache = Yes
	domain sid =
	domain groups =
	domain controller = No
	domain admin group =
	domain guest group =
	domain admin users =
	domain guest users =
	machine password timeout = 604800
	logon script = scripts\%U.bat
	logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
	logon drive =
	logon home = \\%N\%U
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 33
	lm announce = Auto
	lm interval = 60
	preferred master = Yes
	local master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	browse list = Yes
	dns proxy = Yes
	wins proxy = No
	wins server = 131.215.51.51
	wins support = No
	kernel oplocks = No
	ole locking compatibility = Yes
	smbrun = /usr/local/samba/bin/smbrun
	config file =
	preload =
	lock dir = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
	default service =
	message command =
	dfree command =
	valid chars =
	remote announce =
	remote browse sync =
	socket address = 0.0.0.0
	homedir map =
	time offset = 0
	unix realname = No
	NIS homedir = No
	panic action =
	comment = Samba %v
	path =
	alternate permissions = No
	revalidate = No
	username =
	guest account = nobody
	invalid users =
	valid users =
	admin users =
	read list =
	write list =
	force user =
	force group =
	read only = Yes
	create mask = 0744
	force create mode = 00
	directory mask = 0755
	force directory mode = 00
	guest only = No
	guest ok = No
	only user = No
	hosts allow =
	hosts deny =
	status = Yes
	max connections = 0
	min print space = 0
	strict sync = No
	sync always = No
	print ok = No
	postscript = No
	printing = bsd
	print command = /usr/local/samba/bin/sambalp %p %s %U %m
	lpq command = lpq -P%p
	lprm command = lprm -P%p %j
	lppause command =
	lpresume command =
	queuepause command =
	queueresume command =
	printer name =
	printer driver = NULL
	printer driver location =
	default case = lower
	case sensitive = No
	preserve case = Yes
	short preserve case = Yes
	mangle case = No
	mangling char = ~
	hide dot files = Yes
	delete veto files = No
	veto files =
	hide files =
	veto oplock files =
	map system = No
	map hidden = No
	map archive = Yes
	mangled names = Yes
	mangled map =
	browseable = Yes
	blocking locks = Yes
	fake oplocks = No
	locking = Yes
	oplocks = Yes
	strict locking = No
	share modes = Yes
	copy =
	include =
	exec =
	postexec =
	root preexec =
	root postexec =
	available = Yes
	volume =
	fstype = Samba
	set directory = No
	wide links = Yes
	follow symlinks = Yes
	dont descend =
	magic script =
	magic output =
	delete readonly = No
	dos filetimes = No
	dos filetime resolution = No
	fake directory create times = No

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /usr/tmp
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = Yes
	print ok = Yes
	browseable = No

[netlogon]
	path = /u1/usr/netlogon

********* smb.conf file, used on both machines *****************************************

; Configuration file for smbd.
; ============================================================================
; For the format of this file and comprehensive descriptions of all the
; configuration option, please refer to the man page for smb.conf(5).

; This is a sample configuration for IRIX 6.x systems
;
; The following configuration should suit most systems for basic usage and
; initial testing. It gives all clients access to their home directories and
; /usr/tmp and allows access to all printers returned by lpstat.
;
[global]
   comment = Samba %v
   workgroup = SAF
   encrypt passwords = yes
   printing = BSD
;
; The default for printcap name is lpstat which will export all printers.
; If you want to limit the printers that are visible to clients, you can
; use a printcap file. The script mkprintcap.sh will create a printcap
; file that contains all your printers. Edit this file to only contain the
; printers that you wish to be visible. Names longer than 15 characters
; in the printcap file will not be visible to clients.
;
   printcap name = /usr/local/samba/printcap
;
; If you are using Impressario 1.x then you'll want to use the
; sambalp script provided with this package.  It works around
; a problem in the PostScript generated by the standard Windows
; drivers--there is a check to verify sufficient virtual memory
; is available in the printer to print the job, but this fails
; under Impressario because of a bug in Impressario 1.x.  The sambalp
; script strips out the vmstatus check.  BTW, when using this
; setup to print be sure to configure a Windows printer driver
; that generates PostScript--QMS-PS 810 is one that should work
; with the sambalp script. This version of sambalp (if installed
; as a setuid script - see the comments at the beginning of the
; script) will setuid to the username if valid on the system. This
; makes the banner pages print the proper username. You can disable
; the PostScript fixes by changing a variable in sambalp.
;
   print command = /usr/local/samba/bin/sambalp %p %s %U %m
;   print command = /usr/bin/lp -c -d%p -t"%U on machine %m" %s ; rm %s

   load printers = yes
   guest account = nobody
   browseable = yes

; this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
; that connects - default is single file named /usr/samba/var/log.smb
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

;  Set a max size for log files in Kb
   max log size = 50

;  You will need a world readable lock directory and "share modes=yes"
;  if you want to support the file sharing modes for multiple users
;  of the same files
   locking = yes
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   share modes = yes

;  needed for user authentication from workstations
   security = user

;  You need to test to see if this makes a difference on your system
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

;  Set the os level to > 32 if there is no NT server for your workgroup
   os level = 33
   preferred master = yes
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
;   wins support = yes
   wins server = 131.215.51.51

;
; for linux, set an interface
;

;   interfaces = 131.215.52.42/255.255.255.0
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
;
; bits to enable authentication for remote WNT workstations
;
   domain logons = yes
   logon script = scripts\%U.bat

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

; To allow Win95 clients to automatically load printer drivers, uncomment
; the following section (and the lines in the printers section below).
; Run the make_printerdef command to create the /usr/samba/lib/printers.def
; file (see the PRINTER_DRIVER.txt file in the docs directory for info).
; Copy all the required files to the /usr/samba/printer directory
;
;[printer$]
;   comment = printer driver directory
;   path=/usr/samba/printer
;   public=yes
;   writable=no
;   browseable=yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/tmp
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   writable = no
   create mask = 0700
;
; profiles, for roaming users
;
[netlogon]
   path = /u1/usr/netlogon
   writeable = no
   guest ok = no

;
; this specifies the location of the share containing the printer driver
; files - see the printer$ section above
;
;   printer driver location = \\%h\printer$
;
; the following line will make all printers default to the QMS-PS 810 Turbo
; driver - which works quite well for Impressario. If you need a diferent
; driver for a specific printer, create a section for that printer and
; specify the correct printer driver.
;
;   printer driver = QMS-PS 810 Turbo

;[tmp]