Trying to use CVS to get latest SAMBA

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue May 5 16:20:44 GMT 1998

Chance W. Eppinette wrote:

> Hello,
> I setup CVS on this system to retrieve the code for BRANCH_NTDOM.
> I am a little confused --  do I need to try pulling BRANCH_NTDOM
> into my existing extraction of samba-1.9.18p4-sol-sparc-2.5.1.tar
> or does the new code go into a new directory?  I have tried both,
> but it will not try write over the existing directory with an
> error about CVSROOT:
> # cvs -d :pserver:cvs at samba.anu.edu.au:/cvsroot co samba
> cvs server: existing repository /cvsroot does not match /cvsroot/samba
> cvs server: ignoring module samba
>
> The original extraction of samba-1.9.18p4 compilies & runs fine.
> When I pulled BRANCH_NTDOM into a new directory and modified Makefile
> for my site, it starts compiling but blows up when it reaches the
> linking stage for smbd & complains about a misreferenced value of
> getsmbpasswd or something.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong?  I may not have setup
> CVS properly, but the notes say all that is needed is a CVS client.

Download the latest code for the main branch via cvs into a new
directory and start from there.  Do not use BRANCH_NTDOM.  The NTDOM PDC
support has been enabled in the main branch by default.  Note that the
main branch is newer code that the main distribution ( 1.9.18p4 ).

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )