NT workstation won't recognize controller

Tavis Barr tavis at mahler.econ.columbia.edu
Tue May 5 22:22:28 GMT 1998

SETUP: I've got the latest (as of Sunday) CVS update of Samba and two NT
workstations, one running SP1 and the other running SP3.  There is an NT
server on the subnet that is running under a different domain from
Samba.  I've got my workstations pointing to the Samba server as the
primary WINS server and the NT server as the secondary one.

PROBLEM: The NT workstations can access the shares okay (actually the one
running SP3 still won't authenticate even with plain text passwords set
in the registry, but it still sees the computer; the SP1 workstation
accesses shares just fine).  However, when I change the domain of the
workstations to the Samba domain, they come back telling me they can't
locate a domain controller.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tavis

P.S.  Other details: I've set the debug level to 20; neither the smb.log nor
the workstation logs register anything when I try to select Samba as my PDC.
I'm enclosing my smb.conf file below

[global]
   workgroup=MARKOV
   server string=Sparc2 in Sociology
   hosts allow = 128.59.226.78 , 128.59. , 127.
   guest account = nobody
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   domain sid = S-1-5-21-059-226-071
   domain logons = yes
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   debug level = 20
   os level = 100
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   logon script = %U.bat
   logon drive = l:
   wins support = yes
   wins proxy = yes
   remote announce = 128.59.226.175 , 128.59.226.42
   preferred master = yes
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   share modes = yes

[NETLOGON]
   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
   writeable = no